It seems here in Victoria Winter has well and truly set in. Unfortunately with the cooler weather so too comes our higher electricity and gas bills. Here’s a few simple tips on how you can lessen the pinch on your wallet through this season while also thinking sustainably.
10 winter energy saving tips:
- Use your ceiling fans in conjunction with your heating – yes even in winter! Simply run these in the opposite direction in the winter time, they will then work by pushing the warm air that is trapped in the ceiling back down into the room.
- Look after your heating outlets – keep these free from obstructions such as furniture, rugs etc and keep the vents clean.
- Turn heating vents off in spare rooms or in spaces that are not used.
- Compare energy suppliers – if you have been with your energy supplier for some time chances are you may not be getting the best deal. It might be worth taking some time out to shop around a little. Comparison sites such as iSelect, finder and Energy Watch are a good place to start.
- Open curtains and blinds during the day to allow any winter sun to come in.
- Use rugs to cover bare floors – this will not only help with retaining the heat but also will warm up the look of a room.
- Look into energy efficient heating systems and limit use of portable heaters where possible.
- Turn heating down over night – use extra blankets to keep warm as you sleep.
- Seal leaks around doors and windows and use door snakes to keep out cold air.
- Hot water bottles – Snuggle up with a hot water bottle or rice/wheat pack to keep warm. These are also great to heat the bed up.