[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Office waste is often more than 80% recyclable but without proper systems in place it’s very easy for many recyclable items to end up in landfill. Here are a few tips to get you thinking about how you could recycle more and reduce waste in your office. Some may seem obvious but it’s easy to slip into bad habits especially if you are very busy!
- Think before you print or post! While most office paper can be recycled, printing something out and/or posting it when you don’t really have to is a waste. Think to yourself ‘do I really need this paperwork?’ and ‘could this be emailed rather than posted out?’.
- Print documents in black and white unless colour is absolutely necessary and always choose the double-sided print option.
- Shut down computer and turn off any lights and appliances if you are the last to leave for the day.
- Ensure air conditioning/heating systems are set to a timer (and not scheduled to come on in the weekend when no one is there).
- Position paper recycling boxes next to individuals desks – if it’s easy for employees to do the right thing and recycle then they probably will.
- Consider implementing a food organics recycling programme into your office. Setting up a caddy to collect scraps in your kitchen areas will avoid compostable items ending up in landfill.
- Analyse what items of your office waste are being disposed of in your general waste in large volumes. There may be the opportunity to reuse or recycle some of these bits and pieces. If you aren’t sure, give us a call and we can work out where you produce your waste and how you can recycle more.
- Set up a staff ‘swap day’ for things (i.e. books, DVDs, games) that may be sitting at home unused. This not only promotes reusing and recycling but is also good for staff morale.
- Reuse office items such as packaging, boxes and stationery items.
- Brainstorm with colleagues about further ways you could recycle more and reduce office waste specific to your where you work.
If you would like further advice on how you can recycle more and reduce your office waste please let us know.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]